Re: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance & Timing

To: Bruce.Simms@SOCO.Sk.Ca
Subject: Re: Upgraded plug wires & ?s re Distributor Advance & Timing
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:50:40 EDT
Bruce,
I'd like to share with you something that happened to me two weeks ago.  I am
running exactly the same set-up as you - fast-road cam, headers, twin SU's,
higher compression head, etc.  I was also running the Petronix electronic
ignition which started to go bad two weeks ago.  I initially put the points
back in and the car ran quite well.  I also have a spare XR700 system which I
decided I would go ahead and install (only took a few minutes because I just
velcroed down the gold "box").  Initially, I thought it was running quite
well with just some high rpm pinging.  Turns out, that in order to get rid of
the pinging, I had to retard the timing so much, that I had turned into the
proverbial garden slug!  It was a good thing that I was retarding the timing
by taking off the cap and rotating the optical sensor clockwise, instead of
rotating the actual distributor, because I just took out the XR700 and
dropped the points back in and everything was good again.  So, the quandary I
was in was that:  I didn't want to go back to Petronix, I didn't like the way
the XR700 made me perform, and the points just didn't have the high rpm
performance I needed.  Someone on the list suggested looking in to the MSD 6A
unit, which utilizes the existing points (which last a long, long time with
this system) and has all the other benefits of elec. ignition.  Mine is
coming tomorrow- I'll let you know how it performs.
Regards
Geoff Parker
74 TR6