Re: Late style PDWA shuttle needed: question

To: "James Tabor" <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Late style PDWA shuttle needed: question
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:43:51 -0500
    James> Skip referenced the need for a late style, but then calls the cup
    James> design the late style...  the LATE model shuttle i believe is in
    James> fact the one that skip has.  (the one show on the top in the
    James> photo referenced below).  So did skip mean to say he needs an
    James> EARLY shuttle?

James,

I think I just worded things badly.  The picture I referenced shows two
shuttles, an early version with cup seals, and a later version with o-rings.
Not knowing any better, I assumed there were only two styles of shuttles.  I
bought a PDWA from (purportedly) a '72 or '73.  The text from Nelson's MC
rebuild article on the Buckeye Triumphs site says, in part:

    I have PDWAs from years '68,'70, '73 & '76 and all have 5/16"
    cylinders.  Three use O-Ring seals as the lower piston in the
    photo and one uses the more substantial seal as the upper piston
    in the photo.

Knowing that I had a '68 PDWA with cup seals, I assumed that at least from
'70 onwards o-ring style shuttles were used.  I incorrectly assumed the one
I was buying would have an o-ring shuttle.  It had a cup seal shuttle, but
it was slightly different in cross section in the center switch activation
region than the shuttle from my TR-250.  I then inferred (perhaps also
incorrectly) that what I purchased was what I think of as a "late" cup seal
PDWA.

It's not obvious to me that you couldn't use o-rings on the cup seal style
shuttle, but you'd have to find o-rings with much smaller inside diameters
than the TRF rebuild kit provides.  The pressure bears from the ends of the
shuttle which would tend to press the o-rings up against the inner shoulder.
You might have to place two o-rings on each side.  Has anyone tried this
successfully?

Moral of the story: Don't buy a pig in a poke like I did.  Check the shuttle
before buying...

Skip