Re: OD tranny

To: eric_myracle@hotmail.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD tranny
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:27:13 -0400
Eric,

IMHO, O/D is a must!  Having just installed a J-Type O/D Transmission in my
TR250, I wouldn't have it any other way.

You can install an Overdrive on your existing tranny, but you're talkin'
about several hundred for the O/D unit (if you can find one) and you'll need
to dismantle the gearbox.  Alternatively, you can fit either an A-Type or
J-Type transmission.  The J-Type will require, moving the rear tranny mount
on the frame or buying/fabricating an adapter bracket (see
buckeyetriumphs.org)...I bought a bracket from rimmer bros.  Not sure if the
A-Type requires the relay, but the cars were originally fitted with them.
The J-Type does not require a relay.  The O/D switch would have been on the
column just behind the turn signal switch.  I've seen others mount the
switch on the console.  You don't need to change driveshafts!  Figure on
payin' anywhere from 600 to 1600 for a complete tranny/w O/D

Hope this helps,

Todd