A-type overdrive

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: A-type overdrive
From: sue & bob <kraeuter@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:33:43 -0500
I've just acquired an A-type O/D tranny for my TR6!  It came out of a
TR250 I found at a salvage yard.  I have no idea of its operating
condition, but I've removed the top cover to inspect it and it appears
to be fine.  The gear oil looked clean, there's no bits of metal or
broken gear teeth.  The synchronizer cups look brand new.  The clutch
fork taper pin was broken, as was another bolt that the PO installed
thru the front of the fork to solve a previous taper pin failure.
 Perhaps that's why he stopped driving it.  Other than that, and the
outside of the case being filthy dirty from road grime, it looks to be
in working shape.

Now that its on the bench with the top cover removed, what should I do
to it?  I'm planning to replace the clutch shaft bushes, rebuild the top
cover using new o-ring seals on the selector shafts, test the swtiches
mounted to the top of the cover, and of course replace the gaskets for
the top cover, front end cover, countershaft cover, and solenoid.

I assume replacing the O/D adapter plate gasket will require a rebuild -
is this correct?  I don't want to rebuild it if its operational, but I
want to do what makes sense.  Should I replace the front and rear oil
seals?  How big of a job are they?  Is there anything else that should
be replaced while its out of the car.

By the way, my car was originally non-O/D.  I assume I'll have to get an
upper O/D harness and mount a relay in the engine compartment.  I was
going to install it next to the other two relays next to the wiper
motor.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Bob Kraeuter
'72 TR6  CC76363L