RE: Shipping Rollbar/Hardtop

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Shipping Rollbar/Hardtop
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:39:26 -0500
We have a full warehouse operation attached to where I work (I've shipped
tires, transmissions etc..great for my ebay sales).  UPS has a dimensions
formula they use to determine regular-size packages vs. oversize vs. too
big for UPS.  They also have weight limits too...check out their
website.  Truck freight is cheap if it's loading dock to loading dock (ie
usually commercial to commercial using pre-established business freight
rates), but if there is a residential pickup or delivery or both, the
shipping cost skyrockets.  As a one-time shipper, you (not surprisingly)
pay the highest rate. Your best bet in that situation is if you have a
friend who uses a lot of truck freight and you can use his freight rate and
paying the top rate there too.

 From my experience, rollbars go UPS unwrapped and hardtops go truck
freight (best enclosed in a wood box).  When I sold my hardtop a few years
ago to a fellow lister, he drove from NC/SC to CT (where it was stored) to
pick it up as the shipping cost was so high (and it was already packed in a
shipable wood box).

As Bob Lang said, you can ship anything anywhere, it's just how much you
are willing to pay.  As a tidbit: We (my company) had to rent an entire
cargo 747 flying in from Asia a few years ago to get product into a
retailer in Xmas product crunch..cost was well into the 6 digits.