Re: clutch question

To: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:03:29 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Just a note on your tranny trouble...

the gold stuff is (as you've figureed out) bits of brass in the oil.

When you rebuild this tranny, try to switch to a real GL 4 oil (Redline
makes one called MT90 that's pretty good, I like to use RedlIne MTL, as it
allows much better "speed shifts".

If you have as much play in the gears as you say (1/4 inch), chances are
that your spacer washer has also bit the bag and if things are really bad,
your' talking abour replacing the main shaft and possibly one of the
synchro hubs. I've been there, done thatr and have the t-shirt.

Good luck squaring that away.

Sounds to me like the rebuild was not actually a rebuild. But that's jsut
my opinion.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |