used frames

To: "'6Pack@autox.team.net'" <6Pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: used frames
From: "Knight, James" <James.Knight@purchase.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:04:36 -0500
Colin:
Don't stop at checking for rust.  I bought a rust free frame sight unseen
once.  It was absolutely rust free, but it wasn't straight.  The tail was
about two inches to the right of where it was supposed to be.  Fortunately,
the yard, which was in Alabama, was honest and offered me the choice of
another used frame and keeping the first one, or having the first one
straightened at their expense.  I had the frame straightened, and it all
turned out well.  It could have been me paying to have the frame
straightened, however, if the yard had chosen to ignore me.  I was lucky.
Check for straightness and squareness(or have someone do it for you) using
the information in the Bentley manual as well as for rust.  Repairing either
properly can cost as much as the frame itself.
Jim Knight