Re: Rubber bump stops

To: Cliff <cdavies@holzher.com>
Subject: Re: Rubber bump stops
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:14:11 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Cliff wrote:

> Does anyone have a tip on removing the bump stops
> on the trailing arm and frame. My stops are
> missing the rubber bump,
> all that remains is what looks like a big washer
> with a carriage bolt through it. The trailing arm
> one concerns me most as it is steel to aluminum
> and I don't want to screw it up.

Well, you have two options: heat it and drill it.

I have limited success with heat and various fluids (like liquid wrench
and PB Blaster etc.) The problem is that the aluminium soaks the heat
pretty well, so you need to get a pretty big flame (or use two propane
torches) to get it hot enough to make a difference. Heat the trailing arm
and crank on the washer with a pair of slip-joint pliers.

If that fails, centerpunch the bolt head andtry drilling it out.

Worst case: you ruin the trailing arm. These are not that hard to come by,
you can get one for as little as $10 if you shop around. If you're in a
hurry, it'll cost a bit more.

:-)

But if you exhaust your known methods and have not had success, don't be
ashamed to ask a professional to help you out. My machinist has done
plenty of $35 jobs for me!

> Thanks
> Cliff
> 73 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |