RE: Caliper heat/paint

To: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Subject: RE: Caliper heat/paint
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:08:19 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, William Whitmoyer wrote:

> I'm guessing here, as I'm not near any of my brake system books, but
> unpainted calipers would seem to bleed off heat faster than painted
> calipers (as long as they don't rust), but I'm not sure that is going to
> make a difference in any fashion....big difference would be going from cast
> iron to aluminum calipers, especially if you are able to use larger rotors
> and calipers.

This may all be true, but a bit off track from the initial question...

The initial question was: what color should I paint the calipers?

Aluminium was not being discussed.

> Doesn't 200 degrees seem low for estimated caliper temps?

I would certainly hope not. If your dry boiling point for your DOT Castrol
LMA is 311F (at least I think that's what it is), and I've _never_ had
brake fade owing to brake fluid problems, it's safe to say the calipers
never get that hot. I do represent the extremes when it comes to brake
usage, owing to my racing activities.

But my statement was:

> But regarding temps. on the claipers themselves, they shouldn't get too
> hot (unless there's a problem with the pistons sticking). I'm guessing
> they stay under 200F except under the most harsh conditions.

The keywords are "except under the most harsh conditions".

Bottom line - don't go around testing your caliper temps. with your finger
- you'll get burned. But the brakes run fairly cool except when you ride
'em hard or you have a problem (like a sticky caliper).

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |