Port matching update

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Port matching update
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 18:43:51 -0500
The gasket that I used to do a quick check of the matching was one of the
stock gaskets with the metal backing.  I have a "header gasket" from TRF and
this one seems to line up better, but still not perfect.  (In answer to RML,
I don't think the ports have ever been touched as they have no telltale
signs of this).

The downside of using the header gasket is that it is much looser on the
pins than the stock gasket.  As a result, I plan to use Visard's pinning
process to line everything up before I cut anything.

Based upon the feedback from this group, I am going to trim the head, gasket
and header to get an even mating of the surfaces.  The intakes on the head
look very close to the size of the gasket (within about 1/32) and I don't
believe I will have to touch them at all.

Unfortunately, I have no facility to cc the head.  Is there another way
besides the pipette?  Also, how close are the heads from the factory?  Where
they checked before assembly, machined that finely or just good enough?  I'd
like to do a good job, but it will not be used on the track, it is a street
car.

TIA
Peter
'68 TR250