Re: Bulb replacement for dash instruments

To: Mlinthcsa@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bulb replacement for dash instruments
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:19:16 -0500
straight out of the archives...

I, too, wanted better instrument illmination for nighttime
driving, and obtained GE's Miniature and Sealed Beam Lamp
Catalog. You should be able to get one at industrial GE dealers
or a GE customer service center, of which there are about eight
around the U.S. (try 1-800-327-7155 for automotive, or
800-327-2080 for consumer/retail). The catalog is great, giving
a lot of design and performance specs on available bulbs.
(Sylvania has a catalog for its Osram line of bulbs, too).
I decided to stay away from halogen or xenon bulbs because
of the anticipated heat (and not just for the plastic bulb
covers, but for the innards of the smaller instruments that
might be affected by more ambient heat). I settled on bulb no.
T4W, which has a design volt load of 13.5 and draws only .3
amps, but has mean candlepower of 2.8, which appears brighter
than what a Lucas or similar bulb can put out. A GE 1816 will
also do the trick - same volts, .37 amp draw, but 3.0
candlepower. Both bulbs have a bayonnet base, but you can cross
reference to similar bulbs with a screw base if you have
different instruments in your car. There are some
aircraft-application bulbs in the catalog that are brighter, but
draw more amperage. Believe me, it's great to drive at night
and have dashboard lighting that comes close to what you have in
your daily driver!
I couldn't find the bulbs at any auto parts store, and the
GE parts wholesalers wouldn't help unless I ordered a gross - of
the 10-piece packs! I found mine at W.W. Grainger.
Sorry for the delay in getting out this info.

Bob Rothstein
Northern Virginia