Re: undercoating, real or after the fact

To: Jim Lewall <jlewall@sunshinecable.com>
Subject: Re: undercoating, real or after the fact
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:40:43 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Jim Lewall wrote:

> I have a november 73 built 74 serial 14770.  The inside of the boot and the
> engine compartment are all sprayed with what appears to be an undercoating.
> I look at pictures on the web and see all these beautifully painted engine
> rooms. Is mine normal or is the black goop a retro fit..

People used to pay extra monet for that goop. I know my dad did.

If/when I ever do a frame up of CF14111U, that stuff is "outta here".

On several parts cars I have had the (mis)fortune to cut up, the
undercoating works pretty well at preventing rust, but also works pretty
well in holding moisture between the undercoating and the metal causing
rust through.

In other words, the stuff does work, but the newer stuff is better (like
waxoyl or the other items discussed on this list) owing to thier being
self-sealing and not too think (like the tar based stuff was).

> thanks
> Jim

A proper paint job will reduce the chances of rust-through on your car
much better than the tar stuff gooped on in the old days. Also, the new
types of seam sealer are better at staying plyable and thereby blocking
water/moisture from creeping into the seams (where much rust starts).

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |