Re: 1973 transmission/reply

To: Valerie Stabenow <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Subject: Re: 1973 transmission/reply
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:13:05 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Valerie Stabenow wrote:

> I buy Valvoline 85-90 GL3 or 4. As I understand it (or maybe it's urban
> legend stuff,) there are additives in the GL 5-6 that are not good for the
> parts. Perhaps another lister can illuminate/verify, etc.

This  is not urban legend. The GL5 oils have high sulphur content and they
to eat the brasss/bronze synchros and bushings. If you've used the wrong
oil, when you drain your tranny after 10k miles it looks like liquid gold
with all the brass metal flakes in suspension.

The main problem with this is that if your tranny sits for a while, the
metal falls out of suspension in nice clumps, and these sometimes block
the drain hole from the tail back to the main gearcase. This has
predicable effect on the tailshaft bearing.

> Valerie

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |