Re: chassis frame diff between early and late TR6

To: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <mdambrogia@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: chassis frame diff between early and late TR6
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:03:21 -0500
Mike
It's true.

In a nutshell, the tranny mounts were changed to accommodate the J-type
o/d for the 73 model cars and later.

HOWEVER, any late car without o/d can use an early frame by changing to
the early mount. Any early car (o/d or not) can use a late frame by
using the non-o/d mount.
 The only rub is to adapt a J-type o/d trans to a early frame. I have
cut the mounting brackets from a wrecked late car and welded them to the
early frame, and cut back the existing mountings on the early frame in
this case. I have heard that adapters are also available.

Additionally, a TR250 frame can be used, but buy a gusset kit from RF to
beef up the front lower a-arm attachments. (They'll probably be cracked
anyway!)

I have a good frame if you are anywhere near NE Ohio.

Good luck! Jim

PS You'll need to save ALL the bumper bracketry that bolts to the frame
to reuse on the early frame if you get one, since that stuff is
different on the raised bumper cars.