Re: J-Type in 2nd gear

To: "Bernard Robbins" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Subject: Re: J-Type in 2nd gear
From: kmr@pil.net
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 23:05:41 GMT
Bernard Robbins writes:

> The A-type is stronger. Someone on the list was talking about a P-type
> converstion a couple of months ago which is strong enough to be used in
> all forward gears (I thought I read it came off a Jag, but open to
> correction...)

Bernard and all,

The P-type conversion is not a part-for-part swap.  It is done by Medina
Motorsport in Ohio (Medina, OH - (330) 725-2725) for about $1250 USD.  It
involves uprating the OD internals, increasing the OD operating pressure,
and the biggest change is relining the OD clutch with the material used on
P-type ODs.  Essentially you end up with a P-type OD in your original A/D/J
type case, and it isn't detectable from the outside.  The P-type was
Laycock's final inception of their Overdrive system, and it was used in
Bentley's and Rolls Royces as well as being sold for commercial/industrial
truck applications.

If anyone saw the TR6 drag race this past summer at TRF, you will have
witnessed the winning TR6 (Tom Ahlstrom), which has a Medina uprated J-type
overdrive.  The car makes quite a bit of power, but only because of the
large quantity of NOS he used during the drag race (which is the only
reason he beat Richard Good).  However, I think that more than gives merit
to Medina's uprated ODs... and yes this particular TR6's top cover was
modified for 2nd gear OD.

Personally, it isn't a very attractive price at $1250.  Herman Van Den
Akker's Toytal 5spd conversions are about half that price, complete, and
will take just as much power as Medina's uprated ODs will.  However,
Herman's kit doesn't provide you with the satisfaction of originality...
but that is a personal preference.  (and if you've got a CD player
installed, you may find the placement of the shifter with Herman's kit a
bit unsatisfying).

And I know Herman is listening, I think, and I've promised him that I would
get a scanned copy of his flyer up for public viewing.  Which I will, as
soon as my laptop is back from repair (spill damage).

Cheers,

Kai