RE: Intake Manifold Gasket Q's

To: chaz2@gis.net
Subject: RE: Intake Manifold Gasket Q's
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:53:24 -0500
Charles,

        > I have a friend who has offered up a set of DCOE 45s. Will these work
well on
        > my TR6? Would I need to aquire a third or would two be adequate?
Intake
        > manifold? The engine is in the process of being rebuilt and I have
not
decided
        > how far I am going to take it...

IMHO, either you *NEED* Webers, or you stay well-clear of them.  Webers
are not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.  To make DCOEs
work truely well, one needs a built motor which has been carefully
constructed to work with the Webers (higher compression, porting,
breathing modifications, lots of cam, meticulous attention to
fuel pressure, timing and alternative vacume arrangements).  This
is NOT a bolt-on operation.  Be prepared to spend many hours at the
drag strip or on the dyno.

Having said all of that, DCOE 45s are waaaaay to big for the road.
Unless life for you starts at over 5000rpm,the 45s flow too much.
Even 40s need to be choked for spirited road use.

I've never seen 2 DCOEs on a TR6, and doubt if a manifold exists
for them.  2 DCOEs would not take advantage of one choke-per-cylinder;
I'm not even sure it would work.  The traditional set up is 3 DCOEs,
but finding a manifold without carbs may just as expensive as a
complete set up.

Still, if you are the itinerate fiddling type, and have ever heard
a set of triples breathing deeply at 5000rpm, you will know it
is one of the sweetest sounds in the world.  And coupled with
the TR6s accurate steering, "steering with throttle" becomes a reality.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate
Maryland