Re: What's normal comp 4 TR6

To: rmf3860@erols.com
Subject: Re: What's normal comp 4 TR6
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:44:42 -0400
I do not think that "high" numbers in a compression test is a
fair indicator that the head has been shaved.  My stock '74 motor
(head/valve-train has never been removed) shows 149 +/- 3 lb/in**2,
using two different compression test gauges.

I am sure there is a technique to determine if the head has been shaved
(in addition to removing the head and measuring it), but I do not know
what they would be.  One could probably see how much ignition advance
you could run on low-octane gas before pinging - I would expect that
a bumped compression ration would not take very kindly to low-octane
gas.

Shane Ingate in Maryland