Re: TR6 restoration book

To: 74@tr6world.com (Mike)
Subject: Re: TR6 restoration book
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
To the List---Mike Brinker and I have been discussing this "Restoration"
book for a week or more. His message here a few days ago gave you all a
good outline on what Roger Williams covered in his 192 page manual. Mike
also asked me to review this book before making it available for
purchase at:
      websixpack@6-pack.org

If you choose to buy this book it would be great if you would do so from
the Club, at the website above.

It would be too lengthy to review this book, or manual, on a
chapter-by-chapter basis. At least on this forum. I can tell you that
this manual is very readable, yet captures the wealth of experience of
this hands-on writer.

He offers new solutions to many of the nagging, reoccurring problems we
have had to deal with, and in a refreshing manner. Some of his ideas
I've never seen in print before.

Almost one fourth of the manual deals with body-off restoration for the
six cylinder TR roadster. While the main model used for a lot of his
writing and many illustrations was the early TR6, it isn't difficult to
put you particular car year  in its place.

This isn't primarily a manual for taking apart a Triumph with no other
source of reference, but rather more of a problem solving kind to
compliment something like the Bentley manual. Nor is it one that offers
demon tweaks for mega HP gains, tho the author does appreciate the
difference between engines built for the mother country vs. those
shipped to the US. Many pages are used to cover P.I. and higher
compressioned heads.

In my opinion the manual is prepared well, obviously proof-read, and
only the most discerning eye will be able to spot some niggling slips.
Rare indeed, for a motor book. I'm glad to have a copy.

Dick Taylor
CF11143
L.A., Ca.