Re: Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards

To: "JPHaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removal of 74-76 TR6 (USA) bumper guards
From: "The Brinkers" <thebrinkers@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 12:20:10 -0500
John,
When I restored my early 74 TR6, I decided to remove the overriders and keep
the the same chrome bumpers on my car.  I removed the overriders,  brackets
and bumpers from my 6 and took the bumpers to a shop to be
refinished/Chromed.  When I went to install my bumpers, I used the same bolt
holes, and of course my bumpers were at the same height as they were before.
The only difference is that there are holes that can be seen on the top of
the front bumper and the back bumper seems to fit a bit closer and also
reveales a notched out section on the tops where they are bolted to the rear
frame.
To solve the hole problem in the front, I went to the local Harley Davidson
store and purchased a package of chrome studs with rounded heads.  I bolted
& siliconed these in place and I feel they look fine.  You can see a little
of what the bumpers look like without the black rubber overriders on my TR6
by going here http://www.tr6world.com/about_mikes_tr6.htm .

The photo's on that page should help you see the height of the bumpers
compared to the turn signal lights.
Hope that helps.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Mike Brinker