IRS Corvair 1/2 axle

To: "6packlist" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: IRS Corvair 1/2 axle
From: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:50:07 -0500
Bernard & Friends
           I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Losing an axle at speed is
not a good thing. I have done it myself at speed in my E Prod TR6 and
conceder myself very lucky to have walked way.  Ken Kastner , In the comp.
prep. manual says to replace them after every 3-4 races.   Enough said.
            A year ago another racer passed a hand drawn set of prints from
the old Group 44 team to me. After re-drawing them on Auto Cad I had a good
working set of drawings and have starting making a BOLT ON conversion to
adapt a Corvair Axle to an IRS Triumph.
            These are CNC cut 6061 T6 Alum. hubs. The axle has one of 5
holes welded then the flange is re-drilled to a 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern. The
axle is re- machined so the mounting flange is flat and true and the bearing
surfaces are polished. The VERY large splined Corvair u-joint yoke is
machined to a  smaller size to closer fit the mounting hole in the IRS Alum.
trailing arm. (The hole STILL needs to be opened up some for this yoke). All
parts are then magnafluxed, painted and assembled.
            This unit is assembled with bearings and seals from your local
NAPA store and is made to be easily disassembled for inspection. The u-joint
is a NAPA # 319 Ford to Chevy conversion. (One pair of  bearing end caps are
smaller then the other). A splined IRS yoke (TRF# 142437) Either new or
magnafluxed is needed to be machined to this smaller size.  I have been
putting 3", 7/16 x 20 racing studs on the units so far but, can press in the
stock length or even 3" 1/2 x 20 studs.
             I think Ted Shumaker still has the last set I finished to
evaluate. I hope to have a 10 to 12 week turn around on new orders.  So
inquires can be made with either Ted or directly with myself.

            I just re-read this post and it sure sounds like an add to me
... well yea.  Excuse me...
                            David Wingett