Re: header or exhaust manifold coating

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: header or exhaust manifold coating
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 13 Sep 2000 12:55:08 -0000
Timothy Holbrook wrote:
        > ....getting your headers chromed.  I hear it will turn
        > a weird blue color over time because chrome can't take the heat.

Absolutely right, Tim.  Look at any classic motorcycle with chromed
headers and they are an irridescent blue for about 8" from the port
(depending on how many hours the motor has done, and how hard it
is revved).  Most modern bikes use a thin inner wall in their
headers to reduce this blueing.

>From a real performance perspective, having the headers ceramic
coated inside and out improves cylinder scavaging, and may even
keep under-hood temperatires down.  It also keeps the headers
looking clean, and the choice of colors these days are pretty
wild.  Day-glo orange might look trick :-) but aluminum or
classic dark charcoal finishes are the conservative choice.

Personally, I LOVE the blueing on chromed headers; it separates
the riders from the poseurs, but maintaining the chrome is a pain.

Shane Ingate ('77 Guzzi Le Mans, original owner and thrasher)
Melbourne, FL