Re: PI rebuild

To: John Denson <John.Denson@saabaircraft.com>
Subject: Re: PI rebuild
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:54:50 -0400
John,

There is an archive for the 6-pack list (as well as the much larger and
somewaht more diverse Triumph list) -- both archives are hosted by
listquest: try http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=triumphs or
http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=6pack

The Big Triumph list (T2000 & 2500 list is a great resource for PI info).
Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no> in Norway (just next door!) is a great
resource http://www.kvaleberg.com/t2000.html.  Egil is also the most
knowledgable person I know on PI matters.

I obtained my U/L seals from Mike Pumford in the UK.  Not cheap, but a lot
less than a rebuild (and I wanted to do that myself anyway).  You cannot
undertake the rebuild without the Lucas manual (details on the T2000 list),
but it is pretty straightforward once you have that gem (also, you DO NOT
need the special tools listed in the manual -- if you proceed, tell me when
you are ready, and I'll explain why you do not need them).

On the injector front: Pumfords (MPumford@aol.com) will also sell you
rebuilt injectors (about 15 quid each, I think), but Egil has written a
briefing on how to replace the seals yourself, and you can find that in the
archives. You mention that you think that you have manifold leaks ... Can
you see/feel slop in the butterfly spindle bearings?  if not, have you
tried spraying butane (risky) or starting fluid (better, but still a bit
risky) on the spindle pivot ends to see if you get an RPM increase?  (Be
very careful with the above suggestions, and have an extinguisher nearby!).

The unleaded question is a both a myth and a dilemma: the myth -- that you
need leaded fuel to lub the metering unit: this is apparently hogwash since
the basic design is derived from the CAV (subsidary of Lucas) diesel pump;
not too much lead in diesel anyway.  On the seals front - you will need to
upgrade to U/L type seals: the older seals will swell and deteriorate with
the U/L cocktail of chemicals.  The idea of running 2-stroke oil sounds
intriguing, 'though I can't imagine how it would counter the effects of U/L
fuel!  Still, it would look like a genuine Triumph -- oil drops underneath,
and blue smoke out the back!  And the racing fuel idea is fine, but the
problem will still exist if you blend your fuel with any U/L.  Finally, I
seem to ecall a list member a while back making some observations on the
various U/L blends in different countries, and it seems that some are more
benign than others.  My recollection was that UK U/L is chemically fairly
agrresive, but has a higher calorific value than the US U/L blend.  Don't
think anything was said about Swedish gas though ....

Good luck!

Tony