Re: Cam sprocket, keeper, etc.

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Btp44@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Cam sprocket, keeper, etc.
From: Gary & Priscilla Klein <gklein@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:03:06 -0400
Ryan, Berry, et al,

Whilst rebuilding my engine, I had excessive end float, resulting from a
worn keeper groove on the cam and a worn outer face on the keeper.  The
cam was perfectly usable in all other respects.  The solution the shop
and I came up with was to "square" out the groove on the cam as its
outer edge wasn't flat but sloped with wear, and to replace the keeper
with NOS.  The machining on the cam made the end float worse but this
was easily fixed.  Since the outer edge of the cam was worn, indicating
a inward thrust on the cam during engine operation, a shim was used
between the keeper and block, bringing my end float back to within
spec.  This way, the cam rode against the keeper and not the shim.

BTW, my shop attempted to mill the old keeper down to a thinner size and
quickly gave up.  Those keepers are hardened steel and it wouldn't have
been an economical solution.  A piece of ten thou stainless steel was
much better.  I don't think you will be able to file it as suggested.

Good luck,

Gary
Digest  '75 TR6
Severn, MD

> Ryan-Are you using a new keeper plate?  If the end float number you
gave
> (.0015) is correct, the new plate must be thick enough to compensate
for a
> worn cam &excess material must be removed to get the .004"-.008"
recommended
> end float.  You will need to remove about .0025" to get the min. end
float.
> This can easily be done by filing the back of the keeper, taking care
to keep
> the surface flat, several trial&error fits will probably be needed.
As Dick