Re: Starting Problems

To: "John Phillips" <TR6@vigoris.net>, "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting Problems
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:11:56 -0400
> I just fixed my second one of these.  If the starter and bendix are
> operating within normal parameters, there is the possibility that the ring
> gear that is engaged by the starter, has slipped on the flywheel and is
> now too far from the starter to engage.  You can test this theory by
> removing the starter and looking at the gap between the gear and the
> ledge on the flywheel where it should nest.

I had a gap of nearly 3/8" of an inch on one side of the flywheel.  However,
as it wasn't a uniform gap, I had spontaneous starting.

> Each time I have fixed this problem, the transmission has been out of the
> car and the flywheel accessible.  I have wondered if a person could use a
> large C clamp and squeeze it back into place through the starter access
> hole?  If you try it, let me know the results.

I had my car at Power British when we finally diagnosed the problem, Brian
suggested trying to press it back on through the start hole, using such a
method, but upon further inspection it would have been extremely difficult.

However, we came up with a slick little fix at the time... mainly so I could
get home, and that was to remove the little bush at the end of the starter
armature, this bush/stop is about 1/8" wide and removing it will allow you
another 1/8" of throw.  I have no idea how the long term effects of this fix
will affect the life of your starter (or the aluminum housing for that
matter)!

So my flywheel has been resurfaced and the ring gear re-pressed, and it
awaits installation once this bloody weather breaks!

Cheers,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR-6