Burning Oil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Burning Oil
From: Timbo00000@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:07:09 EDT
My '72 TR6 says about 58K miles and burns oil.  I just did a compression test
and got readings of approximately 140, 145, 145, 137, 140, and 137 psi in
cylinders 1 through 6.  I then squirted in oil in each and redid the test and
got about 160 psi across the board.  I'm thinking that I'm in need of valve
guides and a valve job, rather than rings. Please give me your opinions and
also who to get the parts from.  I priced out what I feel I'll need including
the various gaskets and Moss, TRF, and British Victoria are all pretty close.
 I've dealt with all 3 and have no major problems with any, so I'm pretty
much dealing on cost, but if you know of any quality differences in these
parts, please let me know as I'm not taking the head off again if I can help
it!

Thanks in advance!
Tim - Sterling Hts., MI
'72 TR6